Foam Horse Manikin

JANUARY 26, 2012

Right now my foam horse sits quiet in the studio.  A coat of glue sizing applied to the entire sculpture has dried and sealed the surface. This has allowed me to use a rasp on the surface to knock off the rough spots and carve into the detail areas with a very sharp knife without crumbing the foam material. I’ve put the weight into the front left leg foot by bending the pastern, shortening it and cutting the foam and re-gluing it in place. I’m resisting my desire to jump to the next part of the project before the detailing is finished. If I did the jumpy thing, I risk getting these two materials mixed together. I hate pushing some clay onto a piece and bits of foam come to the surface. This ruins the integrity of the surface I work so hard to achieve. And yes, I can heat up the clay until it’s liquid and strain out bits and pieces of foam or old molding material but this won’t fix the actual clay on the model after the fact.

I’ll be hauling a 55 gallon metal trash can full of brown wax based clay from the storage building to the studio in preparation for the next step. I’ll plop pieces of clay into a warm water bath. When the clay is warm and soft it will make it easier for me to push it onto the foam model. I have a definitive date that it needs to be finished and I’m on schedule. There will be two castings made in resin, one for a client and the other for exhibition purposes. The molds that are going to be made will be usable for casting waxes for bronze, the ultimate goal is an outdoor installation of the bronze Hackney sculpture.