comment 0

KET Kentucky Life Segment

What was supposed to take an hour or so took five hours so behaving myself took some effort on my part.  Calling for rain that day I was up early to get the studio in order before they arrived at ten a.m. Five in the morning sounds really early but I sometimes do my best work when the phone isn’t ringing and I can concentrate on the order of the day.

First, they did an interview in my living room-dining room of my house.  A smaller version of the Barbaro sculpture sat in the background. It was easy.  The host of the show told me he wouldn’t ask me any gotcha questions.  He didn’t.  It started to rain while they were filming so they had to do a sound check on the rain on the roof.  It was lots of fun and he asked great questions.

Next, after they took down all of the lights etc, repacked them and we decamped to the studio.  Driving down the lane behind them I noticed a carcass of sorts lying in the road. It was a large, rather alarming thing and we couldn’t figure out how it got there.  Except that it could of been dragged there by animals.

Setting up again I made sure my clay was warm in the water bath.  The steel armature was ready and sitting on the modeling stand. They wanted a demonstration on how I make a sculpture. I had borrowed a great prop, a Scottish Deerhound named Abby.  She’s brindle so a darker version than typically seen in the deerhound. My studio doesn’t have the space yet to cross-tie a horse for a model so a very large racing style dog was perfect for the job.

Abby jumped up on the grooming stand and settled in for the duration.  My husband spotted her. I was supposed to talk about the process while working on the model which for me isn’t all that easy, once my hands are on the clay, the right brain kicks in.

I worked for a half hour and fleshed out a running Deerhound. It was exhilarating to have the opportunity of such a lovely model and people who appreciated the process. Later as they took down the equipment and we drove out the driveway towards my log house down the lane, we saw the carcass again.  This time, it was a quarter mile down the road in front of the log house.  The film crew told me they saw the turkey vultures trying to hoist it up into the air. It’s gun season here so it must be a deer carcass.

I hope they got what they wanted.  The film makers and the Turkey Vultures respectively. The segment will air in mid-December.